   RE: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

If other companies can come along and take from MS
> or Amazon an idea for a software product or feature on their online
> stores this directly effects the Seattle economy

Microsoft built its business by doing things that other people had done
before, and in many cases doing it better. The same is true of Amazon.

Our whole industry thrives on people taking existing ideas and improving
them.

No one has a right to sit back and say "that's our territory for the next 25
years, you're not allowed in". If ideas could be protected like that,
Microsoft and Amazon would not exist, and Seattle would be a poorer place.

Michael Kay