   RE: [xml-dev] ISO 11179

Title: RE: [xml-dev] ISO 11179
I believe that this criterion (sometimes called the "thunk factor") is a completely erroneous way of evaluating specifications that fails to take into account other factors.

Joe

From: Marc de Graauw [mailto:marc@marcdegraauw.com]
Sent: Fri 6/10/2005 6:12 AM
To: 'Bryan Rasmussen'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] ISO 11179

|  Please, any commentaries on ISO 11179 usage either for or against.

|  Bryan Rasmussen

I work on a project which uses the UBL Naming & Design Rules. Those are
based on the ebXML CCTS, which in turn is based on ISO 11179 (which as such
does not contain anything about XML). So I need to read and understand:

ISO 11179 Part 1 - 32 pages
ISO 11179 Part 2 - 16 pages
ISO 11179 Part 3 - 108 pages
ISO 11179 Part 4 - 16 pages
ISO 11179 Part 5 - 20 pages
ISO 11179 Part 6 - 72 pages
ebXML Core Components Technical Specification - 113 pages
UBL Naming & Design Rules - 104 pages

So I have one critique: bloat.

Marc

(Now, I could count the pages for this other project where I have to
understand XML + XSD + SOAP + WSDL + WS-Security + WS-Reliability + ... ,
come to think of it, the naming stuff above might not be that bad at all :-)