   RE: [xml-dev] U.S. Federal Goverment's Data Reference Model (DRM) XML Sc

[len] Thanks for engaging, Joe.  Let's play our game.

[JMC] Although the term "standardization" is broad, we will be standardizing exchange packages in that they will be represented according to the DRM metamodel. Not sure what you mean by "reference packages" and the "reference level" - is this synonymous with "federal"?

[len]  I mean Information Exchange Packages (IEPs) that can be Reference packages for direct use or customization by States and Local agencies.
[len] IEPs are directly citable.   Citing the FEA DRM or the GJXDM at in a procurement is less than effective.  We will comply
with GJXDM by citing IEPs developed by the customer of by collaboration with the customer that comply themselves
with GJXDM.   According to the presentation by Feagans/Daconta (June 10, 2005) given to the GJXDM Users Conference, development
of IEPs is step 5.1 of the project model.

Where does FEA DRM fit?

[len]  Exchanges of decision making information are classified in a continuum from real time information (C2) such as one
uses for requesting and deploying assets in response to an incident (think Dispatch to Dispatch) to the exchanges of administrative information
such as are used for financial exercises or resource planning (think NIBRS or UCR).   None of that is 'synonymous
with Federal'. The States and local agencies are responsible for the development, procurement and fielding of
IEP-based systems.    In other words, regardless of the architecture, be it SOA or file-to-directory export/import
systems, the overwhelming majority of systems being procured today operate at the level of report exchanges.
That is the sweet spot.

Please provide a roll-out scenario for FEA DRM that would be significant in a procurement.
What does FEA DRM mean to SOA if the SOA relationships are largely report exchange?
Characterizing that as 'message exhange' puts implementation ahead of specification.

[JMC] Would be happy to hear more about these technical reasons, and why RDF is a non-starter (note that we only use rdf:id in the DRM XML Schema).

[len] Show the support for RDF in the major commercial software frameworks.    Why do I need that?  Why does
a State agency need that?  Why does a local agency need that?