   Re: [xml-dev] Getting xsl:param out of an XSL document

  • To: James Adams <james.xml@viascape.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Getting xsl:param out of an XSL document
  • From: Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:24:35 -0500
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

On 7/11/05, James Adams <james.xml@viascape.com> wrote:
> Many of the modern XSLT processors have a simple way to get parameters
> in and out of a transformation.  An example using PHP and the libxslt
> processor (works pretty much the same way with Java and Xalan):

<snip/>

> Where I run into problems is trying to get a parameter back out of the
> XSL.  I know that there is some method to do this since the parser
> implements a functioning getParameter() method, but how do I create a
> top-level <xsl:param> element and assign it a value somewhere later down
> the parse tree?  This functionality is fairly important to a project I
> am working on, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

As David explains, there's not much point in this.  However, user
extensions might do what you want.  In many cases you can define an
extension that can called at any point in your XSLT.  You can then
pass any nodeset or variable into this function and, in general, it
can create a nodeset or string as output back into the XSLT.  However,
in your case you wouldn't necessarily have to return anything...

--
Peter Hunsberger