   Re: [xml-dev] Arbortext bought

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> XML won, so Arbortext has to merge or die.

I would appreciate if you could back up that assertion. For example if
you could outline a concrete scenario where Arbortext would have been
killed (by whom?) had they not merged. This is of more than academic
interest to me as an employee of Blast Radius XMetaL.

My impression is that Arbortext was as successful and stable as they
have ever been. One of the financial details that has been released
since the announcement is this: product prices had been RISING at the
same time that their sales volume was rising. It does not sound like a
company on death's door.

Even if this is xml-dev, I think you are rather markup obsessed. XML is
the new ASCII. Arbortext was in the business of content creation and
publishing. They were not (as of 2005) in the business of markup any
more than BEA is in the business of HTTP or Sun is in the business of
TCP/IP.

  Paul Prescod