   Re: [xml-dev] Arbortext bought

Paul Prescod wrote

> ... According to our product
> manager who comes from that world, PTC is one of the companies that
> allows Boeing to design planes that actually fly.

Arbortext had recently aquired Advent, makers of the high-end, venerable
streaming 3B2 typesetting system that Boeing uses for printing many
aircraft manuals (I heard hundreds of thousands of custom pages per day).
So there is probably more consolidation there than might otherwise appear.
I guess they think that there are other large companies who might benefit
from similar architectures, if it could be bundled as a solution rather
than as a DIY with separate products.

Of course, the trouble with fish eat fish in too rapid succession can be
that overoptimistic valuations can cascade. (Not saying this has happened
here.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe