>>Given the above, I'd say your heading toward reinventing XSLT (but without
using any of those messy namespaces)...<<

  I am envisioning that this rearrangement of the information depends on XSLT
or equivalemnt.

  In my example of <record>s, and from the stand point of XSLT,  I imagine a
template with select="e" which copies each <e/> to a <record/> plus all the

  So I do not see it as a coding method like XSLT, for defining how to
transform arbitrary xml  tags to new forms, but it is rather one particular
obvious  transform always from <e/> tags. The xml preparer is allowed to defer
the  technical implementation of the transform to the recipient of the file.
In my  specific example, we might expect the recipient expands to <record>s
before  doing validation etc.

  If it is a compression idea, then it is a persistent form of compression
residing within the otherwise identical flat xml. The "compressed" file is
the  created file in step one, rather than creating a file and then
compressing.

  As for namespaces I think we would need to use something like <GE:e> and
<GE:g> tags in practice.

  regards,

  bill p