   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting pair of comments (was Re: [xml-dev] Schema Exp

On 7/11/05, Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com> wrote:

> I'm not convinced that a lot more experimentation is necessary -- data
> binding products have been around since shortly after XML 1.0, so it
> seems that there ought to be a wealth of experience out there.

Lots of experience, but I'm not so sure about experience with the hard
problems and corner cases.  I could be wrong, this is not my area.\

> The lack of standardization is undoubtedly one of the major
> interoperability problems. Although JAXB attempted to standardize the
> mapping between XSD to objects, it isn't (as far as I know) implemented
> in any products other than JAXB itself. The result is a lot of variation
> in mappings among data binding products, especially in what XSD features
> are supported.

Sure, jAXB has their mapping, other Java vendors have their mapping,
Indigo has their mapping ... getting them to interop is the problem
AFAIK.I don't know how much of this is everyone wanting to standardize
on what they do, and  and how much of it is real conceptual
differences between the platforms.  There are a lot of smart people
working on this and I don't get a sense that the problems are just NIH
/ "can't we all just get along  by doing it MY way".  Premature
standardization got us into this mess, so I think that there is a lot
of skepticism that ad hoc standardization will get us out.