   RE: [xml-dev] How to let XPATH be faster

> This is interesting reading
> http://www.research.ibm.com/xaos/applications.html

Somewhat frustrating actually, because it says so little. But more to the
point, it doesn't really help the OP as it's just a research project.

> > I have a large XML file which is more than 4000
> > elements. I want to
> > evaluate so many xpath expressions on this xml file
> > and find the xpath
> > function consume too many time. Is there any way to
> > fast it?
> >
> > I use xalan 2.6.0.

Firstly, everyone compares their own product to Xalan because it makes
everything else looks so good. Most people find Saxon goes at about 3 times
the speed of Xalan, though I've seen figures that range from 0.8 to 10
depending on exactly what you're doing.

Secondly, there are probably things you can do to tune the performance that
are pretty-much independent of the product you are using. But we can't tell
you what they are without seeing more details of your source document and
your path expressions.

You don't say if you're using XPath within XSLT or directly from Java. If in
XSLT, slow performance can nearly always be cured using keys (xsl:key). If
you're running from Java, and executing the same path expressions
repeatedly, then make sure you compile the expression once only.

Finally, the xsl-list at www.mulberrytech.com is a better place for this
kind of discussion.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/