   Re: [xml-dev] How to let XPATH be faster

Another option is to store the document in a native XML database. When
the document is inserted into the database, it is parsed and indexes are
built, so that queries can be executed much faster.

Whether this is appropriate for you depends on your situation. For
example, if you query the document repeatedly over time, it probably is.
On the other hand, if you receive the document, query it ten times, and
then discard it, building the indexes may cost more than the time saved
on the queries.

For a (somewhat current) list of native XML databases, see:

    http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/ProdsNative.htm

Note also that the current version of Oracle and the next versions of
SQL Server and DB2 (both in beta) also support this functionality.

-- Ron