   RE: [xml-dev] Demand for web services

There is a class (meaning application) of Web Services known as "data
services" that may be pertinent to what you are looking for. The ability
to create, maintain, and utilize such services are incorporated in
products by vendors such as MetaMatrix and BEA (among others). Data
services essentially provide data from one or more data sources upon
request.

Where do data services fit in the big picture? Speaking generally in
terms of services as in service-oriented architecture (as Web Services
are an implementation choice - and I would say the most common one today
- for services), one may place services into 3 general categories:

(1) Process-oriented services (services that carry out business
processes, such as those that provide a BPEL capability)
(2) Application-oriented services (services that are simpler than
process-oriented services and that carry out a single function such as
performing a calculation), and
(3) Data services (see above)

Flame suit now on...

Joe