   RE: [xml-dev] Xml to xml transformation

XSLT coding questions are generally best asked on the xsl-list at
mulberrytech.com

Your transformation doesn't produce "no output", it produces this:

<sample xmlns:tm="urn:xmlintl-tm-tags" tm:tm="">
Sample para. This needs to be translated
This is not translated
This is not translated</sample>

Note that it's not a good idea to use the browser as an XSLT development
platform - diagnostics are hopelessly poor. Use a free-standing development
tool like Stylus Studio, Oxygen, or XML Spy, or simply a command-line XSLT
processor.

I suspect that this instruction:

<xsl:attribute name="xmlns:tm" namespace="urn:xmlintl-tm-tags"/>

was attempting to produce a namespace declaration. Namespaces and attributes
are quite different things in the XSLT/XPath data model, and xsl:attribute
never creates a namespace node. In fact, this instruction ignores the
"xmlns:" prefix, and produces an attribute with local-name "tm" in the
namespace "urn:xmlintl-tm-tags". You don't need to generate the namespace
declaration by hand, because a literal result element (<select>)
automatically gets copies of all the namespaces that are in-scope in the
stylesheet, unless you take steps to exclude them. So the result document
already has a namespace binding for xmlns:tm="urn:xmlintl-tm-tags", which is
why Saxon chose to name the attribute "tm:tm".

This instruction:

<xsl:apply-templates select="//test" mode="tm:ta"/>

searches for a template rule such as

<xsl:template match="test" mode="tm:ta">

There isn't one, so it uses the built-in template, which simply displays the
textual content of the element. You don't need modes here, so just get rid
of the mode attribute.

It would also be better to use an explicit path: select="sample/test" rather
than select="//test" which involves a whole-document search.

This construct:

<xsl:element name="tm:ta">
<xsl:attribute name="name">
<xsl:text>trans_attr</xsl:text>