   Re: [xml-dev] Simple XPath question

> /A [.//C/@name ="something"]

> 1) Is the blank space between /A and [.//C/@name ="something"] significant?

no

> 2) Are these two expressions or one?

it's one expression, made up of various subexpressions, as  is 1 + 2, so
it depends quite what you mean.

> Anybody care to try a 25-word or less explanation in English?

Select all A elements that are the child of the document root [note]
  That has a descendent element named C
    that has an attribute with name name and value "something"

note
there
will be at most one element child of / in a well formed document, although the
Xpath data model potentially allows processing of fragments with more
than one top level element)

> I assume this Path expression goes into an XML attribute as a string,
> perhaps the T Processor, so its evaluation would be dependent on
> context.

I have no idea what you mean here, so I can't really comment. The value
of the expression is a node set which will consist of zero or more
element nodes, (at most 1 if the input is well formed).

David

http://www.star.net.uk