   RE: [xml-dev] extending enumerated lists with xsd:union

Hi Stephen,

Union is not considered "derivation" for the purposes of substitution
groups.  But your example is more complex than that.  You've got (at least)
two simple times: S1 (the original currency code list) and S2 (your union of
the original with new values.) Then you've got (at least) two complex types:
C1 that uses S1 for its simple content, and C2 that uses S2 for its simple
content.  C2 would not be considered to be derived from C1 just by virtue of
the fact that its content type is "derived by union" from C1's content type.
This would be true whether you were using union or even simple restriction.

If your goal is to version the UBL schemas, have you considered just
creating an entirely new set of schemas with no relation to the previous
version?  (And attempting to control backward compatibility in other ways.)

Hope that helps,
Priscilla

Priscilla Walmsley                 http://www.datypic.com
Author, Definitive XML Schema     (Prentice Hall PTR)
        Definitive XQuery (coming in 2006)