From: Bryce K. Nielsen [mailto:bryce@sysonyx.com]
Sent: Thursday, 11 August 2005 3:36 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] CSV to XML

> If you have your data in one format and need it in another format, you
> need your data transformed. If you don't want to write it yourself and
> would prefer to use an existing utility, I would ask whoever came up
> with your target format if they have anything. If they don't, no one
> will.
>
> I really can't picture how starting with CSV would be any easier than
> starting with XML, unless you're new to XML transformations (whether
> by XSLT, SAX, or whatever) in general.

Often times the document you are starting with is not in your control, it's
given to you by external means, and even they may not have control (such as
an export from an old software package).

As for translating the CSV into XML, there are a lot of 3rd party packages
on the market that will do this (one of which I am the author of). Some go
all the way to transforming the document into the end message you are
looking for, some do a simple tranlsation of the document straight into XML
and then expect you to use a stylesheet to transform the resulting message.
This is used often in B2B/EDI projects. Altova offers one in their MapForce
product, many EDI companies do as well. Prices range from very expensive
(read thousands of dollars) to relatively in-expensive(xmlLingusit, the tool
I created, is only $79.95). Shop around, check out xmlsoftware.com, etc.,
you can probably find a descent middle-ware tool to do this job for you, if
you don't want to create the code yourself.

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx, Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlLinguist, the Text-to-XML Translator
http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmllinguist