   Re: [xml-dev] XML Max Character Value

I believe the current Unicode character range, and the one that was
effective for the XML 1.0 standard, is 0x20-0x10000 (note 17 bits) plus
the control characters, '\t' and '\n' and minus the surrogate pair range
and 0xFFFF and 0xFFFE. The fact that Java doesn't have much support for
the surrogate pairs, which are the only way to express character values
greater than 0xFFFF, doesn't mean they won't appear in XML documents.

So the answer is, no there's no single 16-bit maximum character value.
The test requires access to at least the next character and a little code.

Bob Foster
http://xmlbuddy.com/