   Re: [xml-dev] License Feedback

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 03:21, Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>     WHAT LICENSE???
>
>     I'm considering Apache 2.0, BSD, MIT.
>
>         http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>         http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
>         http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

Hi Alan,

Just so you're aware, http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
points out that:

"Note the new BSD license is thus equivalent to the MIT License, except
for the no-endorsement final clause."

So, unless you have a personal preference, they're essentially the
same.  Following from Sun
(http://developers.sun.com/license/berkeley_license.html), you might
want to add the disclaimer to any of them about the nuclear facility:

"You acknowledge that this software is not designed, licensed
or intended for use in the design, construction, operation or
maintenance of any nuclear facility."

There was an interesting post about this sort of question (thanks
Google!) on the OpenBSD archive from March
(http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/misc/0503/msg00053.html).
Personally, I can see both sides of the issue, but I went with the "less
words" approach for my own work.

There was a quote about licensing from Mandrake (of Enlightenment fame)
that I can't find which essentially says, no matter what license you put
on it, people are going to use it one way or another.  You might as well
make it as free as possible for people to do with it what they want.  I
can't find the exact quote right now, but I think it's dead right.  As
has been shown repeatedly by the cases of IPR theft for merchandise
(http://editorials.arrivenet.com/bus/article.php/3850.html), it takes
deep pockets to enforce infringement.  Licensing either promotes or
hinders goodwill amongst developers/contributers and keeps honest people
honest.  Beyond that, for the individual developer, I don't see that it
does much else--of course, there's always hope ;).

Don't know if this helps or not, but at least I have an opinion.  :)

Cheers,

ast

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.