   RE: [xml-dev] Can we treat XML elements and attributes as sets

Yes, I think it's correct - with one minor reservation: the XML Namespace
recommendation insists, for some reason I have never understood, that names
whose namespace URI is null are not "in a namespace". This leads to a great
deal of tortuous circumlocution in other specs (such as the Schema
recommendation). The model would be much simpler if one regarded such names
as being in an unnamed namespace.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/