   Re: [xml-dev] indexing and querying XML (not XQuery)

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
> A starting point may be MemoryIndex (http://dsd.lbl.gov/nux/api/
> index.html), which can be used for Lucene fulltext search over
> comparatively small *transient main memory* XML documents, for  example
> as in Nux XQuery. Note, however, that it is not  straightforward to
> extend XML fulltext quering over transient main  memory to XML fulltext
> quering over huge persistent XML document  collections; the underlying
> technology is bound to be vastly  different wrt. data management,
> indexing and transactional  properties, though the high level search API
> may indeed remain  indentical or similar.

Cool. (I saw some of your posts on the lucene list).

Does this require Saxon 8x?

I have done some RAMDirectory searches, but for things like forum posts
that need to deny postings that contain 'bad' words (for a young girls
portal). But I need to search large collections of XML config and content.

The worst thing about this is updating the index, but it is not a
showstopper.

Can you expand more on:

"the underlying
 > technology is bound to be vastly  different wrt. data management,
 > indexing and transactional  properties"

it would seem similar to me. That is, if the instance XML changes you
have to open the reader, delete the Lucene document, reindex the new
document, add it, optimize and close the reader.

best,
-Rob