   RE: [xml-dev] Maturing Businesses and Web Standards

I'm not the official authority on this topic (that would be Mike
Daconta), but I will take a confident and informed shot at it anyway as
Mike likes me to do (you've already stated much of this in your response
below):

Vocabularies/models such as GJXDM and the NIEM (which are merging to
become NIEM 1.0, as you know) can be associated with all 3 of the FEA
DRM's primary standardization areas:

- Data Description: Each element/attribute/data type could be mapped to
entity/attribute-based representations, such as logical data models;

- Data Exchange: These vocabularies define on-the-wire messages, and can
therefore be mapped to Exchange Packages;

- Data Context: The entities that comprise the Exchange Packages can be
categorized according to taxonomies, which may be FEA reference models,
or other taxonomies that are agency-specific, community of interest
(COI)-specific, or cross-COI.

These associations can aid in multiple areas, the most pertinent one
here being harmonization (mapping 2 or more vocabularies with each other
through the common reference model). That is one of the multiple values
of the DRM.

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton