   RE: [xml-dev] indexing and querying XML (not XQuery)

At 14:21 -0500 2005-08-23, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>...  His papers on these topics from
>the late 80s are seminal.

Many thanks, Len.

Of course, those papers and $5 get me a Starbucks coffee. Most of my
clients don't care about papers; they need schemas, software,
guidance through the standards maze, etc -- especially integration of
thought on how to put together a lot of pieces. Takes a certain
amount of work so people know you're able and available to apply all
that stuff directly to their practical issues. The indexer issues in
this thread, for example, are very interesting and complex. The DB
world is just starting to address them, and key developments like
query optimization are not there yet. I think XQuery also still needs
a lot of work in the text domain. So assembling a system that works
well from the tools at hand is far from trivial. I may have to poke
at Lucene again and see how far I can push it.

Steve

--
Luthien Consulting: Real solutions to hard information management problems
    Specializing in XML, schema design, XSLT, and project design/review/repair