   RE: [xml-dev] Collection-Valued Subexpressions?

>     The problem with XPath 1.0 appears to be that:
>
>         /a[b = 5]
>
>     Returns all matches while..
>
>         /a[b + 1 = 6]
>
>     .. returns only the first match.
>
>     The fix in XPath 2.0 appears to be to return an error for the
>     latter if there is more than one match.
>
>     Why is it not possible to return all /a[b + 1 = 6] ?

For that to work, b+1 would have to return a set of numbers, one for each b.
What then would b+c return? We did consider (very early on) a suggestion
that it should return the set

for $b in b, $c in c return $b + $c

but we decided this would quickly produce unmanageable results; and in any
case it would be impossible to define it in a way that was backwards
compatible.

Michael Kay