   Re: [xml-dev] Talking of HTML.... Anyone like lock-in?

* Henri Sivonen wrote:
>I think specifying character entities in a DTD and expecting them to be
>supported is a serious spec but in XHTML 1.x. Carrying this over to
>XHTML 2.0 means that the HTML WG is in denial about the relationship of
>DTDs and interactive user agents and wants to wish the consequences of
>the XML spec away.

Does the HTML Working Group believe in such bugs in the XML specs?
http://hades.mn.aptest.com/cgi-bin/xhtml2-issues/DocType?id=7336

  I would suggest something like this:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  <!SCHEMA xhtml PUBLIC "-//W3C//SCHEMA XHTML 2.0//EN"
       "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/SCHEMA/xhtml2.sch";>
  xml:lang="en-US">

  We would need to get approval for the <!SCHEMA

  [...]

  Talking with Beth and Ann a little, how about something like:

  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "whatever" SYSTEM "foo.xsd" TYPE
  "application/xml-schema" SYSTEM "foo.dtd" TYPE "application/xml-dtd" ...

  This is an extension, and would need to be in an update to XML, so we
  would need to REQUIRE a new version of XML to support this:

It's always easy to make a new version of XML.