   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] XSieve: XSLT + Scheme

  Hi Uche,

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:41:26 -0600
Uche Ogbuji <Uche.Ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:

> > * It's possible to say "apply-templates" in Scheme code.
>
> It's certainly possible to say that in Python code (and I'd be surprised
> if it wasn't, with some work, in most other languages as well).

  I can't say for every XSLT library and extension API, but the task is
hard in libxslt. Or maybe I just overlooked the right way.

  You say it's possible in Python code. What is the domain of the code? Is
it an extension for 4XSLT, or for libxslt, or for some other library?

> > * Controversal: XSieve supports entities in output.
>
> Why is that controversial?  If the entities are created by extension
> elements, it should be perfectly legitimate.

  Yes, it's legitimate, but entities are foreign to XSLT, and creating
entities is something of the same style as disable-output-escaping.

  By the way, I found practical problems with generating entities. They
might become input data through use of xsl:variable or xsl:with-param.
As result, functions like xsl:value-of and exsl:node-set might be
confused.

Oleg Paraschenko  olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/  XML news in Russian
http://uucode.com/blog/  Generative Programming, XML, TeX, Scheme