   RE: [xml-dev] Constraining a "mixed" mixed content model (XHTML <div>)

DTDs have the limitation that if an element allows PCDATA content (that is,
text nodes as immediate children) then you can say which elements may appear
as children, but you can't place any constraints on their order,
cardinality, or coexistence.

You can do a bit better than this in XML Schema, but not as much better as
one would like. If an element allows PCDATA content then you can't constrain
where it appears relative to the child elements, or what the PCDATA actually
contains.

Why not use two different elements, <block> which only allow block-level
elements, and <text> which only allows inline-level elements?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/