   RE: [xml-dev] Ref. Translation of ERD to XSD

Title: Ref. Translation of ERD to XSD
There isn't a single answer because there isn't a single
style or format for ERDs.  You have to pick the source
before you pick the target.   However, if the ERD software
can SaveAs an open format, it is not too difficult.   So the
first problem is figuring out the ERD itself (there are several
kinds of ERDs out there).

If you have the original relational implementation, the
job is easy.  The problem is having a source relational description
I use FoxPro so YMMV.

A relational system typically has objects that can serialize their internals
into a form that can then be converted into an ERD.  To
do this here, I query the directory for table names, use
the table names to get the table objects to tell me their
fields and other information (eg, datatype), push that into
a tables table and a fields table while building in key
references, then walk these tables and create the ERDs.
I create the XSD just as easily although it won't
be a very sophisticated XSD.  IOW, I stay in table format
so I can use Foxpro scripts to do all the querying and
heavy lifting, then produce the ERD or XSD as an output
from that process.

len