   Re: [xml-dev] Why this restriction? (was Constraining a "mixed" mixed co

In article <1126536990.29765.242713147@webmail.messagingengine.com> you write:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-mixed-content

>From a philosophical perspective, I find it sort of perplexing why
>there is this seeming limitation imposed upon DTDs.

It's a consequence of XML being a simplified subset of SGML.

>It would seem, in the case I ask about, that a future version of XML
>could easily, and without breaking current XML documents and DTDs,
>give DTDs greater power at specifying constraints.

There is unlikely ever to be a future version of XML that changes
DTDs.  No-one wants to work on such a specification, and no-one wants
to implement it.

A more likely change (though still unlikely I think) is the complete
removal of DTDs.

If you want to constrain the content of your XML documents in ways that
DTDs don't support, consider the various schema tools.

-- Richard