   RE: [xml-dev] Responding to Katrina (offtopic even if XML is part of the

more difficulty with federal involvment in the planning vs rescue saga?

http://www.rense.com/general67/cit.htm

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> I am sincerely sorry for your loss, Sterling.  My extended
> version of that email is on my blog (http://lamammals.blogspot.com).
> I apologize if I am over emotional.  I grieve with you.
>
> 3.  Evacuation orders were ignored and/or could not be followed.
> Being able to repurpose existing assets quickly is the only means
> I know of to move populations in mass.

Orders to persons without the means to execute is like pushing a button on
a machine that is not wired from the button to the machine.
Government needs to understand, survival is a bottom up process and the
place to make sure it happens is at the bottom of the process.

Top down federalism is not an effective means of survival in a hurricane.
Empower the masses to evacuate and let the top down planners make sure the
routes are available for the masses to use.

> 4.  Local control is a part of the emergency planning and
> response systems in every plan I've seen.   Response is in
> question.  Again, investigation will out the flaws as long
> as distractions aren't allowed to defocus the effort.  We
> know what we now know about 9/11 only because local efforts,
> particularly family survivors, made the public case and
> forced the hand of the administration.  Don't play the blame
> game; analyze the events.  I think the region performed as
> well as it could in face of the catastrophe without all of
> the necessary communications and coordinated command and control.

I think the whole planning thing stinks because it assumes that the top
down bureaucrats can do the job.  No job can be done when a hurricane
changes the emotions of the would be survior and the bureaucrat has a wife
and family to go home to just before the disaster hits.

Survival is a bottom up process. It begins with sufficient information to
assess the risk ( it does not begin when some bureaucrat says its time
or orders someone to do something. )  Given enough non varying
information, the survior begins to take stock of his or her options in the
light of current circumstances, his past personal experience, and the
intensity of the force which is likely to occur.
There is a degree of assurance needed before one leaves on home even if
the person leaving has money and other resources. That assurance can only
come from opinion leaders within the "wbs's" would be survior's circle of
acquaintences.

The best planning would establish an "emergency alternate town",
equipped with all the needs to continue ones lives.

Such a town would have railroad facilities able to carry everyone  and
their personal belongs out of harms way and to return them.