   RE: [xml-dev] basic qs - how is xml more flexible for exchanging data?

"Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com> wrote ..
> A very good summary!

simple things that are able to express complex structure through iteration or recursion are only deceptively simple,

for my 2 cents; XML makes the data structure transparant throughout the build/deploy/usage of software, as a developer this just means that I have something a magnitude easier to debug e.g. I would rather debug the following

<firstname>Basudeb</firstname> which I can cleary see with lowest level text editor versus

firing up some runtime debugger, investigate some binary structure....or with some proprietary format that someone has made up.

though xml of course is not immune just because of angle brackets e.g. I could go against making xml mean anything

<a32r8h90qwq89u3dfhq938fghq>Basudeb</a32r8h90qwq89u3dfhq938fghq>

or perhaps we decide on using some other language the english for tag name....
it then would be difficult for me to determine that the text node of such xml has anything to do with a first name.

there are other benefits with xml with respect to flexibility, unicode, etc that are important.

which is where the importance of linking some sort of schema comes in, though if I am careful to make my xml mean something, I can live without a schema for trivial data scenarios, and I am fortunate that i am not forced to write source code in High Swiss/German too often.

cheers, Jim Fuller