   Re: [xml-dev] Handling of empty content and white space-only content?

Dear Mark,

My understanding of XML is the following:

<foo/>            ; empty - obviously!
<foo></foo>     ; empty - possibly unfortunately
<foo>  </foo>    ; not empty - because end tag does not immediately follow
start tag

Except for attributes I don't think XML itself says much about whitespace
handling.  XML schema on the other hand says quite a lot!  It allows you to
specify on a case-by-case basis whether all whitespace is significant,
whitespace should be replaced with space characters, or whether leading and
trailing whites should be removed and consecutive whitespace should be
collapsed into a single space.

HTH.

Regards,

Pete.