   Re: [xml-dev] HELP Needed in XPATH.

Eric,

I had the same discussion with my colleagues years ago, and we were
also a bit confused. Therefore, I contacted W3C (Max Froumetin), and
his responce was that the web page was non-normative and contains the
"three parts" statement for historical reasons. He also refered my to
the specs themselves which are normative. See the abstract of
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/, which says that XSL consists of two parts.

The XPath spec only says that is describes functionality shared by
XSLT and Xpointer, not that it is part of the XSLT family.

I am only refereing to version 1.0 of the specs, it will take a long
time (if ever) before I will be confident with the upcomming ver. 2.0
specs.

Regards,

Jens