   RE: [xml-dev] Better design: "flatter is better" or "nesting is bette

At 12:49 PM 9/29/2005, Michael Rys wrote:
>In general the problem you are looking at is the general data modeling
>question: How close does your logical design (the XML structure in your
>store) be coupled with your conceptual design (the XML structure as seen
>by the consumer of the data). Many of the comments you make below are
>appropriate and are closely related to the questions of relational data vs
>XML data and relational normalizations vs denormalizations.

I'd take this a little further to say, "What is the purpose of the XML
being designed?". It is implied in the description of moving a picker that
I'm removing an old entry and creating a new one. Is my XML supposed to be
the data base or is a report of the current status of pickers. As a report,
all the work is done in the application and just output. If my XML is the
database and it drives the associated applications, then I might do
something different.

..dan
Danny Vint

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 510-522-4703