   RE: [xml-dev] Better design: "flatter is better" or "nesting isbetter

On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 15:02 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> Also, the "elimiate non-essential tags" rule flies in the
> face of the capabilities of XML Schemas, where introducing extra
> layers is the only way to get different content models: XML Schemas
> forces you to use elements where attributes might be more natural.

Which sounds a bit like add tags simply to keep the validator happy?
If you are operating in a straight jacket situation then yes.
If you want to apply your own authoring
constraints then this should be unnecessary.

> Furthermore, for documents that will be sent for publising, there
> is a kind of "critical mass" or minimum-density-of-metadata without
> which a document is useless for publishing.

If you mean markup within low level elements I'd agree,
e.g. inlines within a para.
Otherwise I don't follow the logic there Rick.

>  It would be better
> to re-phrase that "eliminate speculative tags" IMHO.

Speculative == redundant (for todays known applications)?

regards DaveP