   RE: [xml-dev] Better design: "flatter is better" or "nesting is better"

  • To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Better design: "flatter is better" or "nesting is better" ?
  • From: "Nathan Young \(natyoung\)" <natyoung@cisco.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:48:59 -0700

Hi.

I'm troubled by the use of "better" in this conversation.  Would it make
more sense to say "optimized for X", where "X" is something a little
more specific.

For example, in the vinyard example, if you ask people "which
representation is better" you allow for a number of inconsistent
opinions with no way to judge between them.  The reason behind these
different opinions is that people each have their own ""X" that they are
evaluating and they might not make this explicit.

Even if you ask something as vague as "which representation is optimized
for human readability", it's a big step up.  If you ask "which
representation has the best balance betwen human readability, ease of
moving a picker from one lot to another, and ease of converting this
format to and from a relational database" then you have the start of a
set of criteria for which the concept "best" can start to have some
meaning.