   RE: [xml-dev] XML-with-datatypes (was....)

Title: RE: [xml-dev] XML-with-datatypes (was....)

Obviously.

Henry, how happy will you be when after five years of
development, hard work in a W3C committee, endless
hours spent on airlines to go to F2Fs,
consuming capital, eating pizza, promises
made to your spouse that the ship is coming in, Microsoft
announces its intention to create MS-OOML, the strongly
typed version (patents pending) for the upcoming version
of VistaInTheLongRun?  And your share value goes immediately
to a penny stock?  Do you think in your wildest dreams
a 'standard' stops that?

Every semantic level added to XML that closes it to other
applications reserves the future to the deep pockets of
corporations and global shareholders.  What you
offer as a minor version increment is a very large step into
the past when such events not only went unnoticed, they
were expected and applauded.  For the last decade,
the openness of web technologies and web standards provided
a short breath of freedom that has resulted in innovation
and prosperity at unimagined scale.

You would give it up to make it two groats easier to
spot bugs earlier.  Don't be too surprised if the applause
from the bleachers here is muted for the moment.

len

From: Rich Salz [mailto:rsalz@datapower.com]

> However, I don't think it is really that hard to extend XML further to
> make it strong typed.

Sure.  32 or 64 bit ints?  32 or 64 or Cray format floats?  Corba, COM,
Java, or C# object model?  Multiple inheritance?

> XML was initially designed without Namespace, and it is now patched with
> namespace and everyone is happy to accept it.

"everyone is happy to accept it"?  You're new to this, aren't you.