   RE: [xml-dev] XML-with-datatypes (was....)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> A refactorization of XML that focused on fixing the
> known syntax problems (layering) without introducing
> another layer is welcome.  Welding in datatypes is
> precisely the kind of unwelcome change one wants to
> avoid.  (Vladimir:  I'm not saying what you are
> suggesting is ridiculous.  I don't see the advantage
> of moving the namespace to core, but please keep
> that discussion going.)

[Clarification: I was talking about putting a mechanism for datatype
identification into the core; namespaces are already there.]

Thanks for the encouragement, but I am puzzled: I feel you suggest that
this welding-in of datatypes would _hurt_ someone.  That's what I don't
understand: how a backward-compatible add-on extension in the style of
namespaces or xml:ID can do that?  Those who don't need it, happily
don't have to bother about its existence.

More likely my suggestion does not solve the problem well, solves a
wrong problem, or there isn't enough need to have the problem solved!

VG