   RE: [xml-dev] Schema constraints from a different file?

At 04:24 AM 10/22/2005, Michael Kay wrote:

> > Basically, I would like to develop schemas that impose
> > constraints on an element or attribute in one XML file based on
> > element or attribute values from another XML file.  Is this at
> > all possible?  I would consider making a file containing just a
> > list of all available item IDs, if that would help solve the
> > problem.
>
>This can't be done directly: schema validation is confined to a single
>document. The only thing you can do is write a transformation that
>constructs a synthetic document and validate that; but then you might as
>well do the validation within the stylesheet that performs the
>transformation.

Unfortunately (or not), I don't deal with transformations, and don't even
know what that is.  I just need to parse some XML data into internal data
structures in my program.  I can think of at least one way of doing this
using Schema validation: define an enumeration type that consists of all
item IDs in a separate schema, then include that schema into all the other
schemas.  But this seems rather awkward, so I thought there must be a
better way.  I should mention that the data I am dealing with is
semi-permanent: it is not being modified by the software, but it may be
hand-edited by end-users.