   Re: [xml-dev] Non-schema approach to web service design: comments?

Quoting Tech Rams <techmailing@yahoo.com>:

> OK...so as I see it, you have 2 issues with WSDL/XSD
>
> 1. It is slow to generate / use
> 2. It is not expressive enough - you are not able to
> express all your contract details
>
> While the first one can be specific to the
> implementation, the second would be interesting to
> this audience. What is in the contract that you are
> not able to express in WSDL/XSD? If you can share
> samples of that, we can then see if there are
> real-life limitations to these standards, or if there
> are other standards that can be used in tandem.

Some of our developers say  that (1) is generic to implementations ... so it
would be good to know of cases where this is not so.

Examples of (2) are:
- checksums of data values (a type of functional constraint)
- co-constraints (allowed values for one parameter that depend on
  the value for another parameter) (the XHTML <input> element discussion
  just recently on XML-dev is a good example).

> -rams

Ian