   RE: [xml-dev] save XML into database

Well, the problem is that often if the XML data comes from another
provider, you do not know what code page you need to use without looking
at the data (which you want to avoid). And storing different documents
of different encodings is problematic at best if you are using the
notion of a code page and a string type. If you however use a binary
type then the encoding of the XML is preserved and you do not get into a
code-page issue and an XML parser will be happy. Obviously similar
things can be said about using an XML datatype (which most likely will
use either UTF-8 or UTF-16 as internal encoding).

Using different XML Schemas is less of a problem with concepts such as
the XML Schema collections that are currently supported in SQL Server
2005 and are also part of the upcoming SQL standard...

Best regards
Michael