   Re: [xml-dev] Non-schema approach to web service design: comments?

  • To: Amelia A Lewis <amyzing@talsever.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Non-schema approach to web service design: comments?
  • From: Tech Rams <techmailing@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:15:02 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

Well...my aim was not to glorify the OOness of XSD - I
do realize the eccentricities of extensions.

My aim was to point out that a schema is an outline of
data (as in a data structure) - it does not outline
any processing requirements on the data - either at
the time of creating the data, or at the time of
processing it.

As well as we can argue that we need constructs to
specify how to generate data (like it must be the
checksum of some other data), we can also argue the
need to specify how to interpret the results (in a web
service for example).

Such requirements, unfortunately, are still in the
domain of human communications (external
documentation), as far as I know.

-rams