   Re: [xml-dev] RE: description of the logical or semantic structure

ludger goeke wrote:
> for example I got the following xml-document
>

>  <!DOCTYPE  Person [
> <!ELEMENT Person (Name, Age)>
> <!ELEMENT Name(#PCDATA)>
> <!ELEMENT Age(#PCDATA)>
> ]>
>
> <Person>
>    <Name>Peter Smith</Name>
>    <Age>56</Age>
> </Person>
>

> Does the markup describes  the content for example  "Peter Smith" in a
> semantic way, that means does it describes that
> the content "Peter Smith" has the semantic of a name ? Or describes the
> markup the logical role of the content "Peter Smith"
> and a the processing Software adds the semantic ?
>
> Regards Ludger

there is the same semantic that you would have in a relational database
: if you would have a table named "Person" that contains 2 fields,
"Name" and "Age", what would be the semantic ?

if you agree that it must be understandable as a name and an age of a
person, this could be the same in the XML structure than in your RDBMS

but it's only convention, XML doesn't carry semantics itself
IMHO, i think that when a convention has been made on the meaning of
elements and attributes, people that have the knowledge of the
convention consider that the structure has semantics ; they can now
build applications with these considerations

just like with RDBMS

--
Cordialement,

            ///