   Re: [xml-dev] How to include one xml file in another?

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

> Chris Gray wrote:
>
> > There is now a standard mechanism for including external files called
> > XInclude, but it is not yet widely supported.
>
> Well, it's implemented I for every platform - Java, .NET, C. I wonder
> why doi you call it not yet widely supported?

Sorry.  Poor choice of words.  I meant not _universally_ supported.  The
major programming platforms may support it, but my understanding is that
many client applications don't support it yet (XMLSpy 2006 or Mozilla, for
instance).  I would suspect that most cobbled together RSS feed readers
don't recognize _any_ mechanism for including another file.

And what is the status of XInclude with non-validating parsers?  I would
assume they are allowed to ignore it.  It sounded to me like the original
poster was hoping that the client software would do the including on the
fly, but I suspect server-side is the only reliable way to go.

Chris