   Re: [xml-dev] XTECH 2006 Call for Papers announced

Okay, couldn't resist the direction of the thread ...

Is SOA a lot of hot air? Really depends upon who you're talking to ... it's a marketer's way of sounding trendy geek, certainly, as was the whole notion of web services in the first place. Nonetheless, out of web services a number of important memes surfaced, not least being that there are places where both dedicated stateful RPCs and stateless REST operations have utility. SOA as an acronym is already showing signs of fading, SOA as a concept is becoming accepted and mainstream.

My suspicion is that Web 2.0 will likely run the same arc. Social computing is hardly new, nor, for that matter, is dynamic integration of XML content -- it is, however, reaching a point where it is now possible to do it on platforms BESIDES Internet Explorer, and this threshhold means that people are now building applications that they would have held off doing even as much as a year ago for lack of browser support. More to the point, though, the XML Diaspora is now reaching a point where the technologies are beginning to work in concert and beginning to impinge upon the average non-technical user's awareness. As these things continue to mesh and engage, it's going to result in applications that were not easily doable before becoming doable, and this in turn will likely spur an even greater application stack to form.

I'd be leery of dismissing Web 2.0 tech out of hand as being "so much marketing". There will be of course a LOT of fluffy popcorn produced out of all of this, but even within that there will be a few novel ideas that may dramatically change the direction of tech. The last time things were like this were in 1994-5, and I was hearing a surprising number of "experts" poo-pooing this Internet thing as being just another flash in the pan.

-- Kurt Cagle

On 11/20/05, Andrzej Jan Taramina <andrzej@chaeron.com> wrote:
Dave said:

> If web 2.0 is hot air,
> what is a conference on web 2.0?
>
> A sales dream?

Nope.....it's a lot of hot air about hot air, I think. ;-)

One could pop a lot of popcorn at such an event.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com