   RE: [xml-dev] XML Schema and Chessboards

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Jon IV Thompson Coon wrote:

> - not allowing two allied bishops on the same colour (oh, HOW?)

Theoretically one side may have up to nine bishops on the same color
through promotion.

> - making sure every other square on the board is going to be black
>   (this i'm fighting with, and giving up)

If you have an integer coordinate system, then color of square is
determined by whether the sum of the coordinates is odd or even.

> So there is either the possibility of forcing the whole board to be present
> in the document or the more sensible method of just presenting the pieces
> with their coordinates. Unfortunately I'm required to do it the first way
> unless i can somehow mathematicise within the schema to force the b/w grid
> unto the creator of the xml document?

It seems an odd project, akin to using a hammer to take a stain out of a
rug.  There are a number of standard and compact ways to represent a legal
chess position, all of them condense the information conveyed since most
of what you are trying to encode is implied by the guarantee that "this is
a legal chess position".  Any of the standard methods would be easy to
encode in XML.  There is plenty of free chess software that could be used
as pre- or post- processors to validate the legality of the position.
Why reinvent the wheel?  Given that there are international ASCII-based
standards, why use XML at all?

You may have reasons beyond your control that force you to use this kind
of solution in your circumstances; in which case, I sympathize.

Chris Gray