   RE: [xml-dev] Problems with xs:redefine

> A 'same declaration' could also be an identical component,
> couldn't it?
> If yes, then shouldn't the following model be accepted by
> Saxon as well?
> I'm a bit scared of the necessity of component identity checks here.
>
> <xs:choice>
>     <xs:element name="a"/>
>     <xs:element name="b"/>
>     <xs:sequence>
>         <xs:element name="a"/>
>         <xs:element name="b"/>
>     </xs:sequence>
> </xs:choice>

The term "identity" is a bit confusing here. As far as Saxon is concerned,
if you write

<choice>
  <element ref="a"/>
  <element ref="a"/>
</choice>
<element name="a"/>

then there are two element particles and one element declaration, while if
you write

<choice>
  <element name="a"/>
  <element name="a"/>
</choice>

then there are two particles and two declarations. Two declarations are not
considered identical merely because they have the same content.

Michael Kay