   RE: [xml-dev] Indexing solution for native XML database

> I'm searching for an indexing solution for my native XML
> database project,
> which I'm writing as a learning project.
>
> I use C++ as development language and a relational database
> as backend.

Why?

I simply wouldn't start from here. Relational databases are bad at storing
hierarchic data, they are bad at storing data whose order is significant,
and they are bad at storing data whose structure is irregular. Many of the
XPath axis traversals will map to recursive queries, which cannot be
expressed in first-order predicate calculus. Even the operation of
determining namespace context will require either a recursive query, or
highly-redundant data storage.

You'd be better off starting with an object database.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/