   Re: [xml-dev] ISO schemaTron

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] ISO schemaTron
  • From: Uche Ogbuji <Uche.Ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 18:27:14 -0700

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 07:39 -0500, G. Ken Holman wrote:
> At 2005-11-23 12:13 +0000, Fraser Goffin wrote:
> >Does anyone have an update on schemaTron ISO ratification ?
>
> ISO/IEC 19757-3 Schematron is currently past the FCD stage and is
> awaiting the next FDIS stage as indicated in the up-to-date committee
> Secretariat Report that is publicly viewable at all times:
>
>   http://www.jtc1sc34.org/document/secretariat_temp.html#matrix  (a large page)
>   http://www.jtc1sc34.org/document/secretariat_temp.html#is19757-3
>
> >I currently use the XSLT reference implementation for 1.5, but like
> >many others I suspect, am very interested in some of the proposed
> >new features such as abstract patterns, let and include.
>
> I found a bug in the 1.5 implementation w.r.t. using attributes as a
> context, so I've posted a modified version of 1.5 here:
>
>    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200511/msg00103.html
>
> >If my XSLT skills were better I might have a go at creating new
> >'skeleton' and XML ouput implementations, but alas they are not
> >really up to it.
>
> Would that any of us could make the time to do so.
>
> >Does anyone out there have plans to produce an ISO XSLT
> >implementation any time soon :-) ??

Wot Ken said across the board, but I did want to ask whether you are
constrained to use XSLT.  There are some non-XSLT implementations
available based on the ISO drafts, including the desired features you
mentioned.  I should know because I've written one of them: Scimitar
(part of Amara [1]).  Scimitar is implemented in Python, but you don't
have to be a Python programmer to use it: you can just run it from the
command line on most platforms.

[1] http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/4suite/amara/

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com