   Re: [xml-dev] Common Word Processing Format

Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:00 -0800, Nathan Young -X (natyoung - Artizen
> at Cisco) wrote:
>
>>If we're talking about a document format to replace MS word documents,
>>we need much more than XHTML.  XHTML holds the content of the document
>>and provides (some) semantic information about that content.  To
>>replicate what a word doc can do and does do for most users, you have to
>>also specify how it's going to display and probably provide some
>>information to the application about how the editing experience should
>>be presented.
>

> I don't know why I'm even bothering with such a hopelessly subjective
> debate, but since everyone here seems to be so eager to crown XHTML for
> office formats, I'll pip up and say say:
>
> Thank GODDESS for the OO XML project, Microsoft's partially reformed
> Office XML format team, and all others who are saving us from the abject
> horror of having to contemplate XHTML as an office file format.
>
> Are you kidding me?
>
> All arguments for XHTML everywhere eventually boil down to arguments
> that rather than
>
> <monty>
>   <python/>
> </monty>

no. you are missing the point. No one is stopping you from using
whatever you want internally for your self, your department, your
company or between companies if you want. But, if you want to let
someone who is not necessarily in the loop see it, put it in a format
that makes the most sense. I cannot see how that is MS Office or Open
Office. Even worse is having a state impose it upon its citizens.

Say you are in charge of your states IT budget, how do you present your
structure above to your citizens/vendors/buearocrats? Do you present
your structure above as an MSOffice or OOWrite document?

> I should write:

> No bloody thank you.  Freedom from naming-by-committee is what drew me
> to XML in the first place.  I am not about to chuck that freedom for the
> very false comfort of a protean generic identifier.

have you /looked/ at the XML source for either of the office suites?
Given that you can't do what you want in OOWrite and only painfully and
with a bad UI in MSWord, why are you celebrating those formats?

As I keep trying to say, the reason they are the best choice currently
is that they have the most user-friendly UI's for the people trying to
simply get an assignment done.

best,
-Rob