   RE: [xml-dev] Common Word Processing Format

>From: Uche Ogbuji <Uche.Ogbuji@fourthought.com>

>Thank GODDESS for the OO XML project, Microsoft's partially reformed
>Office XML format team, and all others who are saving us from the abject
>horror of having to contemplate XHTML as an office file format.
>
>Are you kidding me?
>
>All arguments for XHTML everywhere eventually boil down to arguments
>that rather than
>
><monty>
>   <python/>
></monty>
>
>I should write:

A somewhat more realistic example would be, in some off-the-top-of-my-head
approximation of XHTML, DocBood, and ODF:

<head>
<title>The Meaning of Life</>

<sect1>
    <title>The Meaning of Life</title>
    <para>
    MathML <citation><xref role="bib" linkend="monty"
60 endterm="python"/></citation> Always look on the bright side of XML ...
    </para>

<text:h text:style-name="Heading_2">The meaning of life</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="Text_body"/>
<text:p text:style-name="Text_body">
   Always look on the bright side of XML.
</text:p>

I can't get excited about one being more or less horrible, in the domain of
ordinary business documents.  I agree that the freedom to define custom
markup, the "extensible" part in the name "XML", is what made it interesting
to me 10 years ago and I'm convinced in my heart of hearts that sooner or
later the world will agree.  But in the meantime, the Pareto Principle
suggests that some variation of the basic XHTML/DocBook/ODF/etc. markup
pattern will meet the needs of the majority.

Tim Bray http://2005.xmlconference.org/program/wednesday#5