   RE: [xml-dev] Common Word Processing Format

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 13:10 -0600, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> I worry less about the behaviors I haven't learned and more
> about the ones I can't explain.
...In which case do we care Len?
If we want (and expect) a feature, chances are we haven't
had to use it yet. Just needs hunting down?

>   Documentation varies widely.
> Given a mashup of applications from different servers and
> sources, simplicity and well-documented OR STANDARD features
> are the sine qua non of applications in composite.
yep.

> Even if they are word processors.  Need new features?  Buy
> new plugins.

And judge the worthiness by the cost.
I'd settle for that.

> I don't think anyone intends to pry XML out of the developer's hands.
Where it should (rightly IMHO) stay.
At least I've learned that :-)
> Just consider markets where the end users see a federated page of
> slightly to definitely incompatible application behaviors.  Data is
> the least of our problems regards interoperability and the only
> one that XML has a partial solution for.

I'll disagree with this view Len.
It's the data that matters. [Insert your own quote here]
Not the (todays) app that generates it.
That's the winner for XML I think.

There's a slim chance it might be available to others in
a couple of years time.

--
Regards,

Dave Pawson